Study Guide - Welcome 3
Study 3 - Spacious Welcome
Welcoming the work of God in our lives has been the focus of our Lenten series.
Recap from Last Week
- Any more reflections from our second study—Welcoming those who don’t want to be welcomed?
- How does the image of God as a gathering mother hen change your prayer?
Scriptures: Luke 13:1-9 (look at this paraphrase from Nathan Nettleton)
Disasters and the Judgement of God
In Luke 13:1-9 the story suggests disasters are not the punishment of God. We know that the love of God endures so what is it that does not last?
The fig tree
- Grace and Judgement, manure or the axe…
- How do we know the difference in our own lives?
- Can you think of an example of either?
Our calling in this story is to turn from unhelpful behaviours, habits and attitudes to ones that bring life. This is a life journey!
- What resources can we draw on to keep growing?
The reading from Isaiah 55:1-9 offers us God’s extravagant hospitality.
- What do you want to create space for?
- What might you need to clear away in order to do this?
- What do you need to give more time (grace) to?
- In what area of your life would you like to be more disciplined?
Through the Coming Week
In your prayer life this week make this a prayer of confession.
- I’m turning from … towards the life giving welcoming God.